Lately I have been getting very antsy with minimizing my stash. I mean, I do have a rather modest amount of yarn, however there are skeins in these boxes that have been waiting to become something for years. Now, pair that with that foggy evening when I was feeling particulary low, and boom! a unicorn pony started to happen!
I will not get tired of saying how much I love HeidiBear’s patterns. They are fun, easy to follow, yet keep me busy 🙂 So, as a bit of retail therapy I decided to purchase her Fatty Lumpkin pattern (I do have to do some research on why on earth would she a call such a lovely animal like that?! :D).
From the bottom of my boxes I found several skeins of Steinbach Wolle, a mix of acrylic and wool. These are all leftovers from the time that I made dozens of baby blankets. Honestly, I am not sure how the babies who got those blankets feel about them, because right now the yarn feels rough and rather unfriendly. Sorry, babies!
However, the yarn feels like a good toy yarn. Here’s my progress so far… only the nose and the “accessories” to go…
I have a dear friend who was born in the year of the monkey. Considering, that the current year is also the year of the monkey, and in the beginning of the year I came across this wonderful pattern at Heart & Sew, it seemed very appropriate to make her a cheeky monkey as a gift.
I call it the flying monkey, because most of the work got done on flights between Helsinki and Moscow and Dubai. I must say, I love my bamboo crochet hooks. My hands do get tired with them, but at least I can take them on board of airplanes with no problems! For a very long time the poor animal was blind – it took me more time going to shops in different countries to find suitable eyes than crocheting, stuffing and sewing the thing.
I tweaked the original pattern on the go, mainly due to the fact that I ran out of the lighter-coloured yarn. From the photos you can also understand that my monkey is especially cheeky – it was the first toy I have ever crocheted. And in the process I realised that what toys require is a good sense of symmetry… which I don’t think I have a lot of :D Somewhere along all those flights and packing and unpacking I lost one of the arms. Redoing one that matches the other took me at least 6 attempts, even though I was following the pattern stitch by stitch :O
Instead of making a fez from the original pattern, I thought of dressing the monkey up a bit, but finally decided to leave it naked. I know my friend will get a good laugh over that… because she is a bit of a monkey herself 😉